Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Final blog post (week 16)

What i learned today


This is my final blog post for EDM 310 class. When I first came into this class, I didn’t know what to think or do. There wasn’t a textbook, so I had no idea what to expect. This sure wasn’t it. I never thought that technology in a classroom setting was a good idea. This class helped me to see that there is more to learning then with textbooks and chalk boards. I’ve learned that I will never be ready for my students, unless I learn the technology that my students are growing up knowing.

(1)These are what I learned from the class:

What I will take from this course is my PLN. I will be able to use this to communicate with other teachers and administrator to strengthen my knowledge in the classroom.

Videocast and podcast- I know how to create and use both. These will be used in my future classroom.

Blogging- I hope to be able to have my own class blog for my students to express themselves.

Wiki- I didn’t learn too much with. I was more confused and looked elsewhere for the information.

Presentations- I liked and have used presentations before EDM and I are sure that this will be used in my future classroom later.

Google doc and Google Spreadsheets- I never knew that Google was more than a search engine and now I have competition to Microsoft programs. Which is really better? I will have to keep experimenting.

Picasa- Is a good tool to use inside and outside the classroom. I have already found use for this tool in my everyday life.

YouTube- I did have knowledge of YouTube before the start of EDM 310 and will continue to use this site. I did use this during the course for the tutorials of how to do something’s for our projects that I needed to learn before completing them.

Moviemaker- I love this because besides classroom mini movies, I can make personal moves for my family that live in New York and send pictures and videos. This program allows me to be more creative and allow my imagination to run wild.

Post from classmates- will be a little harder for me to accomplish with my own students going into special education in the early childhood.

Twitter- This was a good tool to keep with other teachers that are already in the field and to be able to get ideas and suggestions that will be helpful in the future.
Post from teachers- will be a little harder for me to accomplish with my own students going into special education in the early childhood.

ITunes- I have been using before EDM and will continue to use after EDM just know will Resources to podcast and ITunesU.

Goggle forms- This allows surveys to be done more effective then by word and having to later input separately. I think this will be useful in my future class.

Google earth- Is the most frustrating thing to work with. I do think that it is a neat concept of what it does do, but I wouldn’t assign a project using this to special education students.

ACCESS & ALEX- The knowledge of ACCESS and ALEX will be useful to have while with my special education students.

Who I am as a professional
- It’s still going to be awhile before I set foot in a classroom, but I will be more ready for the challenge in technology when the time comes.

Teaching literacy- I will continue to learn and be taught technology in the future to keep up with the change in time.

Future of schools
- What I learned from other teachers that are in the field is that, technology is changing what we use to know about classrooms. Use as teachers need to learn to keep up with our students.

Intellectual trail- With many people on the internet today, I know that I can only put good things because you never know whose watching.

Things I learned- What I learned this semester is how to blog, use Google docs,Google forms, moviemaker, Google earth and Picasa. I also learned how to embed and upload videos and pictures onto YouTube and my blog.

(2)There isn’t anything else in program wise that I would have liked to learn with the addition to what we have already covered in class.

(3)Everything that I have used and completed during this semester will be useful when I have my own class.

(4) The only thing that I was most excited to use when I first found out about the project was Movie maker. I never even knew that this program was even on my computer. I was so excited about being able to work it I made short movies about my daughter and placed it on DVDs for my parents and my in-laws. This program will be a great resource inside and outside the classroom.

(5)The only thing that I found “intellectually challenging” was when converting files. That needs to be shown at the being of the semester.

(6)The class assignments and blog post keeps you busy. There isn’t time to get bored. Frustrating at times? Yes.

(7) What I would change about EDM 310 is that I needed more of grade structure. I was blind the whole way. I need the syllabus to breakdown what each blog post and each project is worth.

(8)I can honestly say that I am more technology literate now then when I started. Coming into the class, I only knew basics when it came to internet and word. Now at the end of class, I’m able to blog and make mini movies.

(9) As technology changes so fast I know that if I want to stay technology literate that I will have to keep learning for me and my students. I will keep using Google docs, Skype, YouTube and moviemaker

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with everything you do with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Google vs Microsoft contest Google is free!

    Grades - As you know, I do not like grades. I am convinced they get in the way of good learning. Learning becomes what the teacher wants not what can answer my questions. You will be an independent professional. You will have to evaluate yourself - as a whole. Not in bits and pieces. Bits and pieces grading by someone else is just that - bits and pieces. We live and work as a complete unit.

    ReplyDelete