Sunday, March 7, 2010

Help in Alabama Education (week 9)

ACCESS logo

ACCESS

What is ACCESS? Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, and Students Statewide (ACCESS) a program that allows low income students in high school and living in the state of Alabama expand their education through online based courses or by using Interactive Videoconferencing (IVC). Alabama created ACCESS to provide a better opportunity for these students to use and get familiar with technology that is coming out in the 21st century. ACCESS was started in November of 2004, but is increasing the number of students each year and hopes to keep increasing for the next several years.

I do think that ACCESS is a great resource for certain students when they are older like high school grades, but I do not think that I would be using the ACCESS program in my classroom because I will be teaching in an Elementary School environment. If for any reason I am placed in a High school environment I would use this program and reprehend the program to others. Even though I would not be using this program it’s a good idea for all teachers to have the information. I haven’t lived in Alabama long, but the other states that I did reside in did not have anything close to what Alabama has with ACCESS.
ALEX logo

ALEX

The Alabama Learning Exchanges (ALEX) is a resource of teachers, students and parents that are in the educational field needing assistance in academic lessons. The ALEX web site gives a list of courses offered with the program, a personal workspace for the student, search engines to use for research, lesson plans, web pages and person learning tools. You can also find podcast over different topics to give students a visual learning tool. Teachers will find this program useful because they can be taught and get a strong knowledge of how to use ALEX for their students. The best part of ALEX is that it is free.

I think that ALEX is a great source for Alabama teachers and students. Being a special education major, ALEX also gives resources and curriculum ideas for different disabilities. This program will in the future benefit me in my classroom. I would use all the resources available in this website. The web links are useful as well as the lesson plans.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Heather. Glad to see more links and graphics in your post. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the ACCESS would be great for high school students. When I become a teacher I plan on trying to use it at the school I will be working at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion the ACCESS program is more focused on all grades and the ALEX program is more focused towards high school students. The only question that I have is whether or not the students know that these programs are available to them. I know that when I was in high school, I did not know about them. Also, my sister who is in high school said that she has not heard of them either. They seem to be great programs and I just hope that some students and teachers are using them. Keep up the great job on your posts!

    ReplyDelete