Monday, March 1, 2010

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture (week 8)

randy pausch

Achieving your Childhood Dreams” by Randy Pausch takes about his childhood dreams. He then said that he did achieve his dream and explained what he did to get there. Dr. Pausch gives several examples of what he dreamed of doing as a child. Dr. Pausch then went on to talk about how we can help to achieve the dreams of our students. This can be achieved just as being their teachers. Teachers are a big factor in children’s future. What we tell them and teach them now will always be with them in the future. Dr. Pausch gave a couple of examples of students he helped to achieve their dream.

Dr. Pausch ended his lecture talking about with a list of five points. The First point is to remember that brick walls let us show our dedication. You should stand strong to what you want to accomplish. The second point was to not bail. Do not start a goal and not finish it through when it starts to get tough. Another point is to get feedback and learn from them. Take the good comments as well as the bad and use them for future references and keep learning for them. Fourth point is to show gratitude. When you get help, let them know that you happy they could help. You never know when you would need that help again. The last point is do not complain just work harder. When it gets tough, just keep pushing. In the long run it will be worth it.

The most memorable thing that Dr. Pausch said was, “It is not about achieving your dreams…it is about how to live your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself and the dream will come to you.” I found his lecture to be inspirational and creative. Dr. Pausch lectures inspired me to become a better future teacher, mother, daughter and wife. He reminds me of things that my teachers in high school and my family have told me in the past. I would like to see that being a teacher can change even one child’s life. So when I’m gone from the world, my life would have been worth something positive and good.

In my high school yearbook, my parents placed a message that I have always held close when deciding what I wanted to do in my life. They wrote, “Never loose hope in your dreams. There will always be hard times in the road ahead, but never get discouraged. Always reach for the highest dream and complete it. This will make you great.” I hope to one day tell my students this same thing. Like Dr. Pausch said in his lecture, “chase your dreams, help others, and give good advice.”

1 comment:

  1. Heather, I, too, liked his quote about achieving your dreams. I also liked his story about wanting to be an NFL player. Even though he never achieved it, that goal had the biggest effect on his life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete